At the peak of my eating disorder, the list of things I just had to do everyday reached the pinnacle of ridiculous.
- Drink 2-3 litres of charcoal filtered water (The first glass warm with lemon)
- Drink 2 cups of green tea.
- Drink 2 cups of spearmint tea.
- Blend and drink a green smoothie.
- Take astaxanthin, multi vit, fish oil and vitamin k.
- Eat 130g of protein (g of fat and carbs varied according to rest or work out days)
- Drink 3tsp of cayenne pepper suspended in lemon water before every meal (supposed to help with cellulite, but who knows, it was just spicy hell 3 times a day)
- Eat 5-10 portions of fruit and veg (mainly veg)
- No more than 2 cups of coffee. (Organic, obv.)
- No refined sugar or white flour.
- No non-organic dairy.
- 2 tbsp of collagen hydrolysate (gelatin) morning and night.
- Work-out (unless it was a rest day) + hit 10,000 steps with my fitbit
- Evening yoga (even on a rest day)
- ZPD supplement before bed (10pm)
Yes I did this every day, and yes I also worked a full-time job and cooked from scratch… and my room was also a tip and my social life was this annoying thing that got in the way of my gains and goals.
I have explained in previous posts why this was not healthy and how I calmed down, but rather than talking about what I stopped doing daily, here is a list of realistic things I do daily (most, not all, days – nobody is perfect.)
- Hot water and lemon first thing in the morning. Drink through a straw to save your teeth. I also like to add ACV and/or grated ginger if I have some.
- Blend green smoothie:
- Drink smoothie alongside protein rich breakfast (usually eggs for me, sometimes yoghurt)
- Take multi vitamin and fish oil (October – May) or 12mg astaxanthin (June – September). Astaxanthin supports my pale skin in the summer!
- Protein source and vegetables included in every meal.
- Cook with coconut oil when possible (but I don’t like coconut scrambled eggs so butter wins there every-time.)
- Drink a glass of water every time I go to the toilet and before each meal ( I find this much easier to manage and remember than lugging about 2-3 litres.
- 2 cups of coffee a day, green tea if I need pick me up after 3pm. Some days are just a 3 cups of coffee kind of day though, especially Mondays.
I repeat this most days and find it easy to stay on top of.
My weekly routine varies, but ideally looks like this:
- Work out 3 times a week (HIIT and strength) at least 40mins.
- 1 hr 3o mins of yoga once a week, but I try to include some yoga in my cool-downs throughout the week.
- Alcohol and treats reserved for the weekend.
I used to always stick to ‘never miss a Monday workout’ because it sets you up for the week, but now on Mondays I leave for work at 7am and don’t get home until 8pm, so I usually aim for a Tuesday work out instead!
The most important thing I keep in mind, is that it’s not the end of the world if I run out of greens for my smoothie and have to skip one, or if I have a biscuit with one of my cups of coffee. Life is about balance and these habits help to make me feel better, but I don’t view them as a strict list of rules anymore.
What healthy habits do you try to stick to daily?